As soon as you see mold (or mould in Europe), then you should get it removed ASAP either by yourself if it is a small amount or with a professional company. Here are some questions and answers that we get frequently asked by our customers.
What is mold?
Mold is a type of fungus that consists of small organisms found almost everywhere. It thrive on moisture and reproduce by means of tiny, lightweight spores that travel through the air.
You’re exposed to mold every day. In small amounts, mold spores are usually harmless, but when they land on a damp spot in your home, they can start to grow.
How does mold occur?
Mold will grow where there is moisture, such as in windows, crawl spaces, gaps or holes in your home, through carpets and where you might have damp which is why it is important to do regular checks on your home to prevent it growing. Mold in the air outside can also be brought indoors on clothing, shoes, bags and even pets.
Will mold make you sick?
The symptoms of mold exposure, which appear like allergy symptoms (runny nose, itchy eyes, sore throat), generally only occur if you have an allergy to mold.
However, If you have an underlying condition such as asthma, that compromise your immune system, severe mold and fungal infections can occur. So yes, if not treated, it can make you sick and even the slightest symptoms will make you wheeze, have a skin rash or burning eyes.
Mold versus mildew?
One of the most important ways one can tell mold from mildew is how each fungus looks. Mildew is typically white, gray or yellow and grows on the surface of moist, warm areas. On the other hand, mold tends to be green or black, and it usually grows underneath the surface of anything that is wet, meaning mold. Mildew has a bad smell but is not really harmful to your health, while black mold can be hazardous!
Mold can cause what symptoms?
According to Healthline.com touching or inhaling mold can cause:
- Runny nose and congestion.
- Eye irritation.
- Sore throat.
- Skin rash.
- Lung irritation.
When is mold dangerous?
Mold can also trigger the production of microbes and bacteria. Exposure to these bacteria may trigger an inflammatory response in some people, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).
The WHO also note that mold and the microbial agents it produces may increase the risk of bronchial and fungal infections. There is some evidence that it might lead to: Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis, Bronchitis, Allergic Alveolitis, Chronic Rhinosinusitis, Allergic Fungal Sinusitis and Lower Respiratory Tract problems in previously healthy children. All this as well as wheezing, fever, fatigue, skin and eye irritation, headache and insomnia. skin and eye irritation.
Will mold come through paint?
Painting over mold will not kill mold or stop new mold from growing. Paint does not kill mold and eventually the mold will come through. Only paint that is mold resistant works proactively.
How can I treat and remove mold?
- Use a dehumidifier to reduce moisture indoors
- Leave windows open to get air to circulate
- Use an extractor fan when cooking
- Try to avoid drying clothes indoors
- Clean regularly to avoid mold build up
- Maintain buildings by cleaning gutters to reduce leaks
- Clean surfaces with a bleach solution and dry surface
- Use antifungal paints to stop mold developing
- Call in professionals such as ZGreen Restoration to remove it
How can I make my own Mold and mildew spray?
Simply make a homemade spray that has no chemicals by mixing 50% vinegar and 50% water. Combine in a spray bottle and shake before using. Spray and wipe away the mold with disposable tissues. Always test spot before using.
Why should I use ZGreen Restoration for mold removal?
Excess moisture and humidity in your home can lead to mold damage. Whether you own a new or old home, mold growth can be hazardous to your health and dramatically lower the value of your home.
ZGreen Restoration is a certified Mold Remediation company. Our technicians are highly trained to provide mold removal and remediation in your home or business. ZGreen Restoration is an IICRC-certified firm, which means we adhere to a higher standard than other companies. Trust in our mold experts to get your house back in order.
Call us for a free quote 24/7 on 408-212-6034